Drive In / Drive Through
Generally for operations that carry a small number of SKU’s, but in large quantities. Drive In is, in principal, a high density storage solution that stores a high percentage of pallets within a small footprint.
Product is stored on rails, usually in long lane lengths, with the forklift truck entering these lanes to store and retrieve pallets. It’s a little like block stacking, without the risk of product crushing and finding required pallets, two of the main challenges of block stacking systems.
Throughput speeds are quite slow in a Drive In system, although multiple forklift trucks can be used in this application to increase pallet movements and speed of operation.
Key Features of Drive In / through Pallet racking
- Operations with low SKU numbers / large quantities of each SKU
- Suitable for unstable loads / products with load overhang
- Removes block stacking challenges – load crushing / damage / loss of profit
- Purchasing strategies (e.g. higher quantities ordered for long lead time products) can be accommodated
- Pallet runners unsupported, so strong, good quality pallets should only be used
- May require modification to existing forklift guard, but generally existing trucks can be used.
- Can be used as a LIFO (last in, first out) system or FIFO (first in, first out) system.
Why not try our Space Calculator, by entering the dimensions of your storage space you can select various types of Pallet Racking & Shelving, and see how much you can fit in your space.