Shuttle Pallet Racking
Shuttle systems are a semi-automated system for bulk storage operations. It follows the same storage principals of a Drive In system, except the forklift truck loads / retrieves pallets from the pick face and a shuttle unit takes the pallet into the storage structure. This means improved throughputs over a Drive In system and less damage – reducing maintenance costs and downtime challenges.
Shuttle units are controlled by remote control located in the cab of each forklift truck.
Generally, each forklift truck is allocated a shuttle unit they operate exclusively, although remotes are able to operate up to four shuttle units. Lithium Ion batteries power the shuttle units, providing up to 10 hours continuous operation and the ability to charge a unit to 80% in 2 hours.
Shuttle systems can be configured for FIFO (first in, first out) or LIFO (last in, first out) operations and multiple pallets deep. Usually the depth of the system is determined by the SKU profiles and throughput requirements of the operation.
Key Features of Shuttle Pallet Racking
- Operations with low SKU numbers / large quantities of each SKU
- Can be designed as FIFO – giving automatic stock rotation of products
- Forklift truck operates at rack face only – reduced damage to structure
- Fast throughput speeds can be achieved
- Dense storage solution – less floor space used
- Existing forklift truck fleet can be utilised (storage height may be limited by FLT lift heights)
- Additional shuttles can be added at any time to increase throughput speeds
- High initial investment
- Can be adapted from semi-automated to fully automated at a later date – must be designed at initial stage for full automation at a later date
Why not try our Space Calculator, by entering the dimensions of your storage space you can select various types of Pallet Racking & Shelving, and see how much you can fit in your space.